Several CSWS faculty affiliates are recipients of 2023 University of Oregon faculty research awards and the Tykeson Teaching Award.
According to Around the O, Assistant Professor Claire Herbert in the Department of Sociology has received the College of Arts and Sciences' Tykeson Teaching Award for the social sciences. The annual awards are presented to one faculty member in each division of the UO’s largest college. The awards have been given out since 2015 and instructors are surprised in the middle of class by their colleagues and loved ones. The award comes with a $2,500 cash prize. Read about all three award recipients here.
In addition, five CSWS affiliates have received Faculty Research Awards from the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. These awards support scholarship, creative projects, and quantitative or qualitative research from all disciplinary backgrounds. Awardees will receive a summer stipend of $7,000 or up to $10,000 for research expenses during the coming fiscal year. CSWS affiliates who received this year's awards include:
- Erin Beck, associate professor, Department of Political Science, “Ni Una Menos: Violence against Women and Access to Justice in Guatemala”
- Ernesto Javier Martínez, associate professor, Department of Indigenous, Race, and Ethnic Studies, “La Serenata (Feature Film)”
- Isabel Millán, assistant professor, Department of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, “‘Girls Will Be Boys Will Be Girls’: Queer Feminist Politics in Jacinta Bunnell’s Coloring Books”
- Laura Pulido, professor, Department of Indigenous, Race, and Ethnic Studies, “Monumental Denial: U.S. Cultural Memory and White Innocence”
- Julie Weise, associate professor, Department of History, “Guest Worker: A History of Ideas, 1919-75”