|February 22, 2017|
The Center for Women’s Leadership at Portland State University would like to invite the women of University of Oregon to apply for the 14th Annual NEW Leadership Oregon (NLO) program. The program encourages women students to lead. The PSU center says that women often don’t self-select into leadership, so having teachers and mentors encourage them is critical to getting more women into leadership. Women who are interested in participating in NLO can apply online <https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_daOg5PQugD1QwXr>, with applications due by February 22, 2017.
WHAT IS NEW LEADERSHIP OREGON?
- NEW Leadership™ Oregon is the award-winning women’s leadership development program housed at the Center for Women’s Leadership. Open to all women enrolled at any university/college/community college in Oregon, the six-day residential program educates and encourages outstanding college women to develop paths towards leadership.
- Program Dates: In addition to the six-day (June 22-27, 2017), residential program, participants have access to ongoing mentorship and networking opportunities. The program’s fall training day will take place on September 9, 2017, and is designed to provide participants with additional training and support.
- Residential Program: Participants stay in the PSU residence halls from Thursday to Tuesday and attend sessions or work meetings every day. There are between three and five sessions or activities per day, and participants also take a trip to Salem to tour the Capitol and meet with elected officials.
- Program Pace: Participants should be prepared for a very rewarding, but very highly programmed six days! There is planned rest time during the middle of the program and participants have all their meals with their NEW Leadership cohort, staff, and faculty in residence.
WHAT DO NLO PARTICIPANTS LEARN?
- NEW Leadership Oregon teaches leadership through action. Participants will:
- Practice public speaking, planning, organizing, and networking to address real social problems.
- Draw on the expertise of seasoned coaches and the experiences of women leaders in government, business, science, art and the community.
- Visit the Oregon capitol and learn about the legislative process from state policymakers.
- Learn a set of skills designed specifically to prepare college women for public leadership.
- By participating in the NEW Leadership™ Oregon program, college women find out why and how to develop their own leadership skills through interaction with Oregon’s past and present women elected officials, business leaders, nonprofit leaders, policy specialists, innovators and activists. Hands-on skills-building workshops teach women to lead by taking action. Apply here: https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_daOg5PQugD1QwXr
WHAT DO PARTICIPANTS SAY?
“My participation in NEW Leadership Oregon has enabled me to grow in a capacity I never would have believed possible. It has instilled in me a belief that I have the ability to become a leader in my community. It has given me the confidence to work towards my goals without fear of failure. And most importantly, it has provided me with opportunities to develop academically, politically, and professionally. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to participate in NLO. It made me an agent of change in my own life. I look forward to contributing to NLO and the CWL in the future and helping to empower more young women like myself.” Find more testimonials online
HOW MUCH DOES THE PROGRAM COST?
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, NEW Leadership Oregon only costs participants a program fee of $250. We do have a significant scholarship program, as we are committed to making the experience accessible for all and never turn participants away for economic reasons. The actual cost for development, food, housing, and program materials for the six-day program is closer to $1,250.
HOW DO STUDENTS APPLY?
Applications are due Feb. 22, 2017. Applications are available online here: https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_daOg5PQugD1QwXr. Any woman enrolled in an Oregon college or university during the current academic school year is eligible to apply. We encourage students with all kinds of interests and backgrounds to apply. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Mariana at the Center for Women’s Leadership at 503-725-2895.